STANLEY CUP CHAMPION TO BE DECIDED MONDAY IN GAME 7
The New Jersey Devils defeated the Anaheim Mighty Ducks 3-0 in Game 7 of the 2003 Stanley Cup Final and the Tampa Bay Lightning recorded a 2-1 triumph over the Calgary Flames in 2004.
A total of 13 Stanley Cup Final series have been decided in seven games, with the home club posting a 11-2 record.
118 playoff series (all rounds) have gone to seven games since the League introduced the best-of-seven format in 1939. The home team has won 74 (63%), the visiting team 44 (37%).
The Oilers are attempting to become just the second club in NHL history to win the Stanley Cup after trailing the Final 3-1, following the 1942 Toronto Maple Leafs, against Detroit.
Carolina Hurricanes in Game 7 (1-3)
4/29/86 *, Adams Division Final vs. Montreal (HFD 1 at MTL 2, OT)
4/17/90 *, Adams Division Semifinal vs. Boston (HFD 1 at BOS 3)
5/1/92 *, Adams Division Semifinal vs. Montreal (HFD 2 at MTL 3, 2OT)
6/1/06, Eastern Conference Final vs. Buffalo (BUF 2 at CAR 4)
* prior to Hartford's relocation to Carolina in 1997-98
Edmonton Oilers in Game 7 (6-2)
4/22/84, Smythe Division Final vs. Calgary (CGY 4 at EDM 7)
4/30/86, Smythe Division Final vs. Calgary (CGY 3 at EDM 2)
5/31/87, Stanley Cup Final vs. Philadelphia (PHI 1 at EDM 3)
4/15/89, Smythe Division Semifinal vs. Los Angeles (EDM 3 at L.A. 6)
4/16/90, Smythe Division Semifinal vs. Winnipeg (WPG 1 at EDM 4)
4/16/91, Smythe Division Semifinal vs. Calgary (EDM 5 at CGY 4, OT)
4/29/97, Western Conference Quarterfinal vs. Dallas (EDM 4 at DAL 3, OT)
5/4/98, Western Conference Quarterfinal vs. Colorado (EDM 4 at COL 0)
All-Time Results, Stanley Cup Final Game 7
Year Result Notes
1942 Detroit 1 at Toronto 3 Three goals in third period overcame 1-0 deficit
1945 Toronto 2 at Detroit 1 Babe Pratt's power-play goal in third period broke 1-1 tie
1950 NY Rangers 3 at Detroit 4 (2OT) First Game 7 in Final decided in overtime
1954 Montreal 1 at Detroit 2 (OT) Most recent Game 7 in Final decided in overtime
1955 Montreal 1 at Detroit 3 Alex Delvecchio scored two; Gordie Howe added the other
1964 Detroit 0 at Toronto 4 Leafs' third straight Cup win; Johnny Bower recorded shutout
1965 Chicago 0 at Montreal 4 All goals in first period; Gump Worsley recorded the shutout
1971 Montreal 3 at Chicago 2 Henri Richard scored game-winner in third period
1987 Philadelphia 1 at Edmonton 3 Oilers tallied one goal in each period to overcome early deficit
1994 Vancouver 2 at NY Rangers 3 Mark Messier scored game-winner in second period
2001 New Jersey 1 at Colorado 3 Alex Tanguay had three points; Ray Bourque gets first Cup
2003 Anaheim 0 at New Jersey 3 Home clubs won all Final games for the first time since 1965
2004 Calgary 1 at Tampa Bay 2 Ruslan Fedotenko scored both Tampa Bay goals
* Of the 118 series in League playoff history that have gone to seven games, 29 have been decided in overtime. Home teams have posted a 15-14 record in the 29 games, although road clubs are 10-4 since 1990. There has been a Game 7 overtime in 18 of the past 22 seasons.
* Carolina LW Ray Whitney is one of the 29 players in NHL history who have scored in overtime of a Game 7. On May 19, 1995, Whitney's goal at 1:54 of the second extra period gave the San Jose Sharks a 5-4 victory at Calgary in the Western Conference Quarterfinal.
* Carolina RW Justin Williams has six points in two career Game 7 appearances. He tallied the game-winning goal and added two assists in a 6-1 victory by the Philadelphia Flyers against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the 2003 Eastern Conference Quarterfinal (4/22/03) and notched a goal and two assists in the Hurricanes' victory over Buffalo in the 2006 Eastern Conference Final.
* Carolina D Glen Wesley has been on the winning side in six of his seven career Game 7 appearances. Wesley was victorious in each of five games with the Boston Bruins from 1988 through 1994, lost with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2003 and won with the Hurricanes in this year's Eastern Conference Final against Buffalo.
* Two Oilers who appeared in the club's most recent Game 7 eight years ago are on this year's roster, LW Ryan Smyth and C Rem Murray.