Lightning vs. Capitals Pre-Game Notes
The Tampa Bay Lightning held their pregame morning skate today in the nation's capital, where they will face the Southeast Division-leading Washington Capitals tonight at the Verizon Center.
A few notes leading up to tonight's puck drop:
LINEUPS, INJURIES AND ILLNESSES
Ben Bishop was first off the ice this morning, so it appears he will make his sixth consecutive start in goal tonight against the Capitals.
Some good news too is that Victor Hedman is at full health and will be back in the lineup tonight after recovering from a lower body injury.
With both Tyler Johnson and Brett Connolly being sent back to Syracuse of the American Hockey League yesterday, Benoit Pouliot and Tom Pyatt are expected to be back in the lineup as well.
Dana Tyrell is also expected to play tonight with Pierre-Cedric Labrie out with an upper body injury, listed as day-to-day.
NOTES AND NUMBERS
- Each team has scored 11 goals each through the first three games of the season series
- The Bolts will be looking to snap the Capitals six game winning streak tonight when they take on Washington
- Tonight's matchup features the league's top goal scorers as Steven Stamkos and Alex Ovechkin each have 26 goals this season
- The Lightning are looking for their first win in Washington since January 4, 2011
- Newly acquired goaltender Ben Bishop has started all five games since joining the Lightning at the trade deadline, posting a record of 2-3-0 with a 2.82 goals-against average and .923 save percentage
THEY SAID IT
Jon Cooper, on the recent improvement of the power play:
"One thing we did was put Vinny down low. He's a big body and he can make plays, so I think he's really helped us out. And again, our power play was not a momentum killer. We've had some great chances, they just weren't going in. And now they're going in for us."