December By The Numbers
The Lightning posted a 7-3-3 record (17 points) during the month of December. Here are more Bolts stats from the last month of 2013:
- The Bolts' record stands at 23-12-4 at the end of December, good for second in the Atlantic Division and third in the Eastern Conference with 50 points.
- The Lightning posted a 7-3-3 record (17 points) during the month of December. The Bolts were 8-5-1 (17 points) in November and 8-4-0 (16 points) in October.
- The Bolts' five game winning streak from December 15 to December 21 was their longest winning streak of the season so far.
- The Lightning has five shootout wins through this point of the season. This places them in a tie (multiple teams) for third best in the NHL.
- Tampa Bay goaltenders have given up 91 goals so far this season. This is the fifth lowest total in the NHL.
- The Bolts' 66 goals on home ice this season places them in a tie with San Jose and Ottawa for fourth most in the NHL so far this season.
- Lightning goalies have surrendered just 47 goals while on the road this season. This ties the Bolts with Detroit for fifth fewest in the NHL.
- The Bolts are the second stingiest team in the NHL in five on five situations, giving up only 56 goals so far this season.
- The Lightning has given up just two four on four goals so far this season. This ties them with multiple teams for third fewest in the NHL.
- The Lightning recorded 50 shots on goal in an overtime win vs. the Carolina Hurricanes on December 21st. This was the team's highest shot total of the season so far.
- Radko Gudas' game winning goal in overtime vs. the Hurricanes on December 21st was the third game winning goal scored by a Bolts' defenseman this year and first scored by a blueliner other than Victor Hedman.
- Ben Bishop has 20 wins for the Lightning in net this season. This ties him with Tuukka Rask for third most in the NHL.
- Bishop is also tied with Rask for fifth best goals against average among qualifying goaltenders, posting a 1.89 mark.
- Ben Bishop's .935 save percentage is good enough for third best among qualifying NHL goalies.